Many of our transit passengers leave their vehicles parked at one of our many Park & Ride locations before hopping on sbX or the bus to complete their trip. The Omnitrans Safety & Security team is taking action to help Omnitrans passengers avoid being victims of vehicle burglary by following three easy steps: Hide, Lock, Take.
Every two minutes, a car is broken in to in the United States, resulting in a reported 721,000 auto thefts nationwide each year. Of those thefts, over 80% had the keys left in the car. To combat this problem, Hide Lock Take (HLT) was started in 2004 with the Dallas Police Department and the Central Business District. Since then, those organizations with “Hide Lock Take” awareness have lowered vehicle crimes 40-90%.
- Every year there are 721,000 auto thefts nationwide.
- It’s illegal to leave your car running unattended 80% of auto thefts occur when keys are left in the car.
- Criminals will watch a car for days before acting.
- Criminals look for shopping bags, electronics, & purses. Most cars can be opened in 3 minutes with a coat hanger.
- Park your car in well-lit areas and nearest to street or entrance.
- Remind yourself and others to Hide Lock Take.
- Identify your valuable by making it with a number on it.
- Always call security and never approach a suspicious person.
Vehicle crimes are at an all-time low but the criminals are not. The reason is you! As you become aware of your belongings and lock your cars, you prevent vehicle related crimes. Take part of the Hide Lock Take program at work, home, and everywhere else!